Third GSoC Report

The last two weeks went by pretty fast, probably also because the last courses this semester started and i have a lot of additional work to do.

I closed the last report with writing about the implementation of the test suite. I’ve added a lot more tests since then and there are now around 80 tests that are run with every commit. Using unit tests that do some basic testing really makes life a lot easier- next time i start a software project i’ll definitly start early on with writing tests. I’ve also read a bit about the difference of integration and unit tests. A unit test should only test one specific functionality, so i refactored some of the old tests and made them more granular.

I then also looked into coding style checkers and decided to go with flake8. There were a huge pile of coding style violations in my code, most of them lines that were more than 79 characters. I’ve integrated flake8 in the test suite and removed all the violations. One more thing about python: i’ve read python3 with pleasure which gives a great overview about some of the new features of python3 and i’ve made some notes about stuff i want to integrate (i.e. pathlib)

Regarding the functionality of nacho i’ve added the possibility to delete an account. SSH keys are now validated on upload and it is possilbe to configure the key types that are allowed. I initially just checked if the key string consists of valid base64 encoded data, but that was not really a good solution so i decided to use sshpubkeys to check the validity of the keys. Nacho now also checks the profile image before storing it in the LDAP database- it is possible to configure the image size and list allowed image types, which is verified using python-magic. I also made a big change concerning the configuration: all the relevant configuration options are now moved to a seperate configuration file in json format, which is parsed when nacho is started. This makes it also a lot easier to have default values and to let users override them in their local config. I also updated the documentation and the debian package.

Now that the issues with nacho are slowly becoming smaller, i’ll start to look into existing SSO solutions that then can be used with the LDAP backend. There are four solutions i’ve on my list at the moment, that are keycloak, ipsilon, lemonldap-ng and glewlwyd.

debian gsoc18